These muffins are a perfect healthy-ish treat if you are craving spiced baked goodies! The cool thing is that you are also getting some veggies in there, so you don’t have to feel too guilty about eating more than one 😉
Courgette & carrot muffins
3 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/4 c water
3/4 c sugar
1/4 c coconut oil
1/4 c +1tbsp applesauce (mashed banana would probably work well too)
1/2 c courgette, grated (peel green outside if that would make it more appealing to kids/the family)
1/2 c grated carrots
1/4-1/2 c raisins (optional)
*optional add-in: walnuts or pecans
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2.5 tsp pumpkin spice (or a mix of cinnamon/ginger/nutmeg)
1.5 c whole wheat pastry flour (spelt might work too, even 50-50 spelt and WW pastry flour)
1. Combine flax and (warm) water in a bowl and leave for about 5-10 mins for it to get an eggy consistency.
2. Add in the wet ingredients and mix well.
3. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to wet ingredients.
4. Bake at 350F for about 20-25 mins until fully cooked. Try not to devour all the muffins at once!
You could also try making this in all loaf tin, just bake for longer- probably closer to 50 mins.
* adapted from Hell Yeah It’s Vegan
* feel free to double the recipe if you have a hungry/large family
* I will try adapting the recipe to be refined-sugar-free and let you know how that goes!
Apologies for the slightly unattractive picture- I assure you they are lovely and moist and spice on the inside!